Friday, September 8, 2023

Favorite presentation

My friend asked the other three of us to mention what presentation or lecture over the course of our teaching was our favorite.   That fits well with my own realization that over 37 years of teaching, I taught many things but now I can't think of what they were without consulting notes and records.  That realization has been on my mind and persuaded me to dig around in files to refresh my memory. 


I probably taught the course "Tests and Measurements" more times than any other course.  That is the only course I wrote a 98 page booklet as a text for the course.  The table of contents lists the chapter titles.  There are 20 chapters plus a final statement.  The first chapter is titled "The Dimensions of a Person".  Elementary pre-teachers usually have a natural tendency to be aware of the physical and all teachers work with the cognitive side of students all the time. Secondary pre-teachers sometimes are a bit overly focused on the cognitive side of their students.  But any two humans who work, play, date together become aware of the emotional, social, and moral aspects of each other.


The 2nd chapter discusses ways of grading, from pure judgment using intuition to other methods, such as using the famous "normal" or "bell-shaped curve" to a merit-badge approach, specifying requirements for each grade.  Introducing and discussing that chapter is my selection for a favorite presentation.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby