Saturday, September 30, 2023

A 2nd missing piece

Socrates is often considered an important wise man.  He is famous for his advice to "know thyself."  That is good advice but we now know it is not fully possible.  Too much of each of us is not connected directly to our conscious minds. I see that many intellectual people may live assuming they do know themselves.  For many at most times, they are pretty good at knowing, remembering and observing themselves.  Of course, in addition to having murky or hidden motives and fears or motives and fears they are reluctant to face, we all age and change.    


I found the book "Incognito" very helpful in emphasizing the value in recognizing aspects of ourselves that we can't explain.   So, I will add both moderation and tolerance of strange and unexplained aspects of myself to my list of September 28 for use in a talk.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby