Saturday, September 2, 2023

Walking bags of blood and water

I thought I was drinking enough water but on June 10, a nurse practitioner questioned me and said she was confident I was short-changing myself. Despite some older advice to drink 8 ounces 8 times a day, she said to try for 50 ounces a day.  That was on June 10.  I have a 16 oz. mug I like and I have had the first of three mugs of water first thing in the morning each day since then.   I am quite positively impressed at how good I feel with this greater input of water.


I looked up what % of blood is water and found that 55% of blood is  plasma and 90% of plasma is water.  So, 45% of my blood is water.  High temperatures cause me to loose moisture.  There are many articles about people, especially older people, getting seriously dehydrated.  There seem to be several contributing factors but a major one is that thirst is not as easily sense by older people.  I remember that Lynn's stepdad taken to the hospital in an emergency helicopter for dehydration.


A colleague who taught science teachers once said that human bodies work basically on the principles of water chemistry.  


I suggest you work to be properly hydrated every day.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby