Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Bonnie

Bonnie was a longtime girlfriend of mineI looked at today's date and thought I think today might be Bonnie's birthday.  I looked it up in my list and it is.  When I was in the 8th grade, I asked her if I could take her to the movies.  We saw some swashbuckling film, possibly starring Burt Lancaster.  


Bonnie has been deceased for at least a couple of years.  When in the 6th grade, I had a crush on her but I didn't get around to asking her on a date until 8th grade.  At the time, Baltimore had 14 public high schools and many parochial high schools.  I studied Latin in 9th grade and I could only get a second year in one school, the city's humanities classical all-male high school.  It took me an hour to get there by public transportation and an hour home.  In 10th, 11th and senior years, Bonnie often rode home to the western suburbs from downtown with me.   She was good company.  She was a student at Western High School for girls, one of two public schools for girls.  My sister went to the other one, Eastern High.


Bonnie and I were young and not very intense. My parents at one point said they didn't want me dating only Bonnie.  It was convenient that I had another girlfriend also named Bonne and I could sometimes get away with not specifying which Bonnie I was going to see.


She and I stayed in touch off and on.  When I was 62 and living in Wisconsin, she tracked me down.  Lynn and I dropped in on her once when we were in the Baltimore area.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby