Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Eggs, Timers and Forgetfulness

I have made myself soft-boiled eggs for breakfast since I was an 8th grader.  They were filling and easy.  My nurse practitioner advised me to limit myself to an egg a week but I think that is a bit too stringent.  When I was young, I liked to have 3 eggs but now I eat two for breakfast.


Yesterday, Lynn saw a different sort of egg timer and bought us one. It is a solid chunk of glass with a tab inside.  The timer indicates when a boiled egg has been cooked to a soft, medium and hard stage.  I was eager to try it out and I saw no reason to wait to begin cooking until my usual time of 7:30.  I started cooking at 7 AM.  I put five eggs in a pan of water, put the new timer in and promptly started the eggs.   At 7:30, I thought of breakfast and suddenly remembered the eggs! I sped to the kitchen!  The timer's red indicator dot had completely shrunk away!  These eggs were definitely hard boiled.  


I didn't want hard boiled eggs and cooked two new ones but Lynn ate one of the hard ones.  


I conclude that modifying a procedure I have carried out to the point of automaticity or even carrying it out at a different time of day is not that easy for me and takes concentration and an audible timer.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby