Thursday, September 7, 2023

Nutrition and me

I feel that I know some of the basics of nutrition.  I wrestled on my high school and my college teams.  That sort of wrestling is sorted by body weight so if a wrestler shows on the scale that he is heavier than his weight class allows, he is not allowed to wrestle.  Quite often there is no one else right ready to take his place and the team forfeits the match.  The wrestler in that class on the other team is awarded the point as though he defeated the guy who is too heavy. That never happened to me. 


Some guys believed that eating some foods would result in weight gain of more than the weight of the consumed foods.  The "bad" foods were usually the ones that tasted good, such as candy bars.  I thought that was impossible.  I realized that skipping food to try to avoid being disqualified because of body weight could lead to extreme dehydration or weakness.  A good friend of mine was taken to the hospital in college from overdoing not eating.


In freshman English, I wrote a personal reaction to Walden by David Thoreau.  The professor said it was good writing but not the assignment, which was a "research" paper.   He said I could redo the work.  I did a paper on nutrition: classes and types of foods.  I did.  Between participation in the sport and being aware that I would be eating all my life, I have had an interest in nutrition since my teen years.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby