Sunday, July 24, 2022

Books and eating

I read a while back that the Japanese government recommends eating 30 different foods each day.  I got the impression that they were trying to simplify eating advice.  My wife and I have been fans of variety in eating for years.  So, I am surprised at how readily I have accepted the idea expressed in "The Blue Zones Kitchen" by Dan Buettner that eating the same foods often is a good idea. 


Eating is fundamental and keeps coming up.  In high school, I joined the wrestling team and that sport focused my attention on my weight.  Too heavy and you let the team down by default.  Then, in freshman year of college, the professor said we had to do a research paper.  I did one on foods and nutrition.  A few years later, this wonderful creature grabbed me and made marry her and she turned out to be in love with vegetables although I learned from my mommy that the main meal of the day has a starch, a vegetable and a meat.  The Blue Zones Kitchen says that long lived people don't eat much or even any meat and we are moving toward more beans and less meat.


Every once in a while, I have another experience with Amazon refusing to send me a Kindle book because earlier, sometimes much earlier, I already bought the book.  I have read several books by the Canadian-American geneticist, Sharon Moaleb.  This is a man whose first name is pronounced sha-'rone in the Israeli tradition.  I use the Libby app on my iPad, especially on Mondays in an attempt to limit my acquiring books and found his "The DNA Restart" about eating foods aligned with one's genetic makeup.  I went to buy it and was told it was already in my library of Kindle books. The book is supposed to help me be aware of the amount of amylase in my saliva as a clue to how much carbohydrate I should eat.  Check with me in 2027 to see how I am doing.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby