Saturday, July 16, 2022

Different uses for a blog

Yesterday, I put a link in my blog post to a web page in my website.  The page is a poor one.  It is the highlights from Kindle reading of Chade-Meng Tan's book "Joy on Demand".  The highlights give a good idea of the author's spirit  and wit but the layout of the page is incomplete. Things were going along ok when I used my blog for daily posts and my website, Kirbyvariety, for more permanent information that I wanted to preserve.  But then Google said I needed to convert the website to a new format.  I didn't read or study much about what was happening.  They said they would convert the old site to a new format and they did.  Meanwhile, I opened a 2nd site, Kirbyvariety2.


There are many pages on my websites that relate to good books and to meditation.  Here is a link if you are curious:

https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety1/welcome-to-my-home-page


If I had my choice, I would continue putting selected highlights I collect during the reading of a book on a webpage when I have some reason to arrange for that book to get attention.  Usually, it is either the book is relevant to some idea or issue or a group of friends might be interested in the book.  


I don't find the current Google sites tools very usable so I posted the highlights from Joy on Demand in a better form on my blog site.  I may change my idea of what a blog site is for and drop the Google Sites.  I have a chronological listing of posts on the main web page at https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/  In addition to that tool, the powerful search window in the upper left corner of that page allows for good searching.  When I finish writing this post, I will post it and email it as usual.  Doing that will create two posts dated today.


Reading through my highlights from Chade-Meng's Joy on Demand is worthwhile whether or not you have read the book and whether or not you meditate.  I looked him up today and he still seems to have only the two books, Search Inside Yourself and Joy on Demand.  However, he is evidently no longer an employee of Google.


As I have written before, I began this blog with the intention of explaining and promoting a practice of meditation.  Meditation is possibly the most valuable thing I have ever done for myself.  I value it highly and I treasure good insights about how and when to meditate.  Meng's comments that to meditate, one just needs a mind, and that the shortest useful meditation uses a single conscious breath have been very helpful. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby