Monday, July 18, 2022

Getting a notice of an ebook gift

If you get an email from Amazon stating that you have been given a gift from Bill Kirby, you can forward it to me and ask if it is genuine.  It probably will be real, even if it is very difficult to figure why I would send that book to you. If you find the book interesting, you can get to read it if you click in the email from Amazon that you accept it.  


You can see the text in an Amazon ebook in several ways.  While using a computer, you can use a browser such as Edge, Chrome or my favorite, Firefox, to visit the web site read.amazon.com.  You can do the same thing with a browser on a phone or a tablet, too.  You can also download Kindle software onto a computer, a tablet or a phone and read any ebook you have from Amazon using the software or app.  


If you own any Amazon ebooks, you have a library of those books but any particular book may just be in your library on the Amazon computers.  It has to be downloaded to a particular device even if it is already available on a different device.  You probably have  a default device and once you accept an ebook, it may be immediately downloaded to that default.  Several times, people have expressed disappointment that they couldn't get a book, only to find it was already downloaded but was hidden among other downloads.  


Some of my friends have expressed strong objections to ebooks and want to read only traditional paper books. I more or less understand the familiarity of the heft of a book with pages and a scent but, for me, the speed and convenience of acquiring the ebook makes it worthwhile.  Sometimes these days, I find the print size too little in a traditional book and I switch to using a device that can make the print large.  


If you get a notice that I have sent you a book and 

You hate ebooks,

You hate Amazon,

You hate me.

You dislike the sound of that book or have any sort of disinterest in accepting the book, 

Don't accept it.  


If you send me an email that you don't want that book, I will try to remember not to tell Amazon to resend the offer. Meanwhile, if you are interested in using ebooks, you might search out the Libby app, which allows you to borrow ebooks from your library through the air for 14 days.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby