Saturday, July 23, 2022

But, what do I know?

As an educator, I am interested in the situation of Not Knowing.  My friend recalled how she felt the day of her PhD oral exam.  She had studied, and read, and written her dissertation but she realized how many questions her committee might ask her that she couldn't answer.  There was SO much that she didn't know!

I think if people all had a chance to experience knowing a great deal but knowing how little they know, it would help them. The lawyer, the physician, the carpenter, the housewife, the mother all know quite a lot but most of them realize how much they don't know, that such a situation is ok and that it will always be true. My experience is that older people often have a pretty good notion of what they know, what they don't and the degree to which they can rely on given bits of "knowledge". 

Of course, getting a little deeper into knowing, we realize that we forgot quite a bit of what we once knew. What was my phone number when I was in high school? Besides forgetting, there is the matter of getting out of date. Some of what we knew and still remember is not true now. Politics and fashion are famous for changing but personal tastes, technology and our bodies change, too.


Meanwhile, have a flower.  Have TWO flowers!



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby