Saturday, July 16, 2022

 

Kindle highlights FOR: 

Joy on Demand: The Art of Discovering the Happiness  

Within

by Chade-Meng Tan 

Free Kindle instant preview: https://a.co/3nR12bt 

Selected by Bill Kirby 

33 Highlights | 27 Notes 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 6 

To meditate, you just need to have a mind. 

Qualified ? 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 8 

My baseline happiness used to be misery, which meant that when nothing was happening, I was miserable. this is true for many people 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 8 

In a couple of years after I started mind training, my baseline had shifted to jolly, which means that when  nothing was happening, I was jolly. 

reset your thermostat 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 8 

When I experience something painful, it’s painful, but I eventually return to being jolly. Wow. much better 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 13 

In fact, this has been so helpful that I use my watch’s chronometer to remind me to take at least one breath per  hour when I am fully present to it. 

one conscious breath per hour

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 14 

it’s something you can do too, wherever you 

11/2/2019 

Highlight (Yellow) | Page 15 

from within—from a peaceful mind as a result of taking a few breaths, 

Highlight (Yellow) | Page 16 

Joy, in contrast, is a pleasurable feeling. 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 25 

The first, most basic and possibly most important benefit of mind training is the ability to calm the mind on  demand. 

take a look: clear, useful, easy Don't be fooled by the simplicity 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 28 

So I began to meditate every morning for ten minutes. 

that's it - ten minutes 

Highlight (Yellow) | Page 31 

However, when the mind is alert and relaxed at the same time, relaxation gives random ideas space to arise and  play, and alertness lets us see them and their connections, just like dropping pebbles into a placid lake. 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 61 

I like to apply wise laziness to the process of mind training, mostly because I’m striving very hard to be lazy. you should, too 

Highlight (Yellow) | Page 62 

I was in for a much bigger

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 65 

Bushnell’s Law states, “All the best games are easy to learn and difficult to master.” 

not just games 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 65 

This leads us to a question only a shamelessly lazy engineer would ask: what is the absolute minimum amount of  meditation practice before there is any sort of benefit? My answer: one breath. 

take one conscious totally aware breath 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 72 

if, for whatever reason, you can only choose one, always choose gentleness over intensity. we all need to learn this 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 72 

Make Breathing a Habit 

always spend some time breathing 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 93 

A key aspect of meditation is the skillful combination of wise effort and letting go. 

work at what you should, accept what comes 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 94 

Instead, meditation is about allowing the mind to settle on its own terms, in its own time, which includes  allowing thoughts to arise as and when they want to. 

watch and notice 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 104 

I decided I would sit on a chair and literally do nothing. It turned out that nothing was precisely what I needed to  do. 

can you do nothing for a few minutes ?

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 105 

I got calmer, my health improved, I started responding better to stress, and I became less of a dick than I used to  be. 

how to be less of a dick 

Highlight (Yellow) | Page 107 

Recognize that there is joy even in the first breath. Do the One Mindful Breath practice often—make it a habit. 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 115 

there is a very simple tool that’ll allow you to cause joy to arise. That simple tool is: smiling. William James agrees: smile to call up joy 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 124 

When walking, take one moment to attend fully to the joy of being able to walk. 

not a small thing 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 129 

My recommendation to all of you: at least once a day, remember that someday, you will die, and that everybody  you love will die. If for no other reason, than because it is true. 

memento mori 

Highlight (Yellow) | Page 152 

Compassion, in contrast, is significantly harder because it forces us to come face-to-face with suffering. 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 186 

The first is to be willing to experience joy in the midst of emotional pain. The second is to be willing to  experience the emotional pain itself. 

not easy but worth it 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 187 

As I developed more skill at accessing joy in meditation, I realized I could do it even when I had a crappy day  and I was feeling sad, angry, or disheartened. 

try it!

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 187 

peace and joy are the default states of mind. They don’t have to be created—they just need to be accessed. basic, normal states 

 (Bold face type is my comment when I have one)

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 200 

Second, the way we judge ourselves tends to be far more negative than the facts can justify. not the only one 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 210 

At every step of your growth, expect failure. Lots of failure. 

when you keep on trying, failure leads to success 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 212 

Love yourself enough to allow yourself the space to suffer, without shame or judgment. main thing 

Highlight (Yellow) and Note | Page 236 

Second, the difference between the average and what is considered excellent is a mere 4 percentage points. It is  the same with loving-kindness and compassion practice as applied to real life. 

a little better can make a big difference

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby