Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Terminology mix-up

Some of my friends tell me that they have a Kindle and enjoy using it. Later, I find they don't have a Kindle but a Kindle Fire. I have two Kindles, one kept upstairs and one kept downstairs.  When a friend spoke about apps on a Kindle, I asked what apps can you get on a Kindle. 


I like the Kindle for reading e-books.  It doesn't show me notifications of anything.  Ok, not strictly true.  It does show me ads for books I might want to buy but the ads only come when certain parts of the Kindle are being used.  You can buy a Kindle (e-reader) without ads but you have to pay extra for that arrangement.  I would not be surprised if there is an arrangement where you can pay an extra fee and have ads cease.  The only ads I have seen are for books, for e-books, and I can enjoy seeing some of the possibilities.  


But ads are not exactly the same as notifications.  In my experience, a notification is a message that something has happened, usually that something is available or a person is trying to reach me.  It is the sort of thing a secretary working with me might interrupt me to tell me: Your daughter has been born, your wife has won the lottery.  


The Kindle Fire is a tablet, like the iPad or some of the Samsung tablets.  They are something like a clipboard-sized iPhone.  You can connect to the internet with a tablet and you can pay for an account with an internet provider to send a continuous signal to a tablet so that it can be used for all the usual computer related tasks.  I have found that a computer is considerably more powerful and efficient for doing many jobs and I wait until I can use a computer instead of a cell phone or tablet.


The Kindle has one main job: to show me text in an electronic book (a single computer file of all the words in a book).  The Kindle Fire has apps, short for applications or short, specialized computer programs.  I just looked at the question "How many apps are available for a Kindle Fire?" And found the answer, 15,781.  Puzzles, games, weather predictions, etc.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby