Monday, July 25, 2022

Rich possibilities

I have a different activity this afternoon so I can't sit at the keyboard and write a blog post at my usual time.  I know how to set mailings so that they go out of Gmail at a given time but when I finish writing now, I will probably send today's post out early.


I have developed a habit of jotting down five possible topics for a day's post.  Between meditation giving me good awareness of what occurs to me and writing a short phrase to suggest interesting or semi-interesting thoughts when I write a post, I can usually sidestep forgetting and arriving at my usual blog writing time too empty of ideas.  


I enjoy looking at possibilities, whether they are writing ideas or book titles.  I worked at the main branch of Baltimore Public Library and I felt very rich there and elsewhere when I am in the presence of many possible things to read and enjoy.  A symbol of such richness is the library at Trinity College, Dublin, the famous Long Room:


Of course, to use those books at the top shelves, you need to be able to handle heights.


As usual, I urge others to sit in meditation, paying attention to a single visual target or one's breath.  When Jack Kornfield's magic moment happens and you realize you have begun to think about what's for lunch or some other matter, break off lunch thoughts and return to just looking until your timer rings.  Then, pick a book.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby