Saturday, January 16, 2021

What mood to wear

I picture looking in a file cabinet drawer.   The folders are labeled with the names of moods.  I do get moods naturally so I don't have to choose a mood.  Merry Christmas, bills, time to eat, sore knee - there are always themes and experiences and people to think about.  So when I look through the folders, I am carrying a mood with me before I begin.  But Chade-Meng Tan (Joy on Demand) and David Eagleman (Livewired) and Lisa Feldman Barrett (7½  Lessons about the Brain)  have combined with my own experiences to show me that I can open this imaginary drawer and select my current mood.  


I don't have to go to the file drawer if I approve of my current mood.  Grouchy, wistful, confused, thankful, loving - like a diet of a wide variety of foods, a wide variety of moods seems satisfying and healthy.  Being sad after learning that a good friend is suffering is fully appropriate, so don't bother with choosing a different folder. I can be one-sided or childish and assume that being deeply happy is the right mood all the time.  Just keep choosing it?  No, that turns out to be overly simplistic and inadequate for the complexity of life and of me.  It's like the little kid who says ice cream and cake would be fine for all his food. It can seem like a view of heaven but it gets disgusting quickly.


It seems the key to getting into the mood I choose is attention.  Tara Brach's "R.A.I.N." steps help me check where I am currently, the first step.

R  Recognize

A  Accept

I    Investigate

N  Nurture

When I check my mood, I may find that it changes while being checked.  A more inquisitive, observational attitude may appear and be quite acceptable, helpful, even.


Much current thinking focuses on gratitude.  There are always dozens of things to be thankful for.  The past and the present contain lucky breaks, fine achievements, amazing love - lots to be grateful for. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby