Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Gifts and multiple clipboards

Two matters of electronic communication

  1. Don't underestimate the possible worth of sending a friend an ebook.  I favor the Amazon Kindle books.  Their prices are good, their selection is good and their system is convenient and quick.  When I first read that I could get a book without doing anything, I was quite impressed.  If I have a Kindle, a book can be delivered to it in a file that is sent through the atmosphere like a cellphone call.  Just as the phone system can find me anywhere and can accept and hold a voicemail, my Kindle needs to be powered and turned on to accept the file that constitutes a book.  If you send me a book that I find unacceptable, I can refuse to accept it.  


All I need to send a friend an ebook is an email address for that friend.  I search for the book in the Kindle store and, down the page, select "Buy for others".  I insert the email address.  The invitation to accept will be emailed by Amazon to that address with the message "I hope you enjoy the book".  I can change the message or add to it if I want to.  Some people are opposed to Amazon on principle so sending them a Kindle won't work.  A Kindle reader is my favorite device for reading ebooks but they can be read on all tablets and smartphones as well as on computers.  A person can also get books in e-form for the Barnes and Noble Nook and the Kobo ereader.  A tablet or smartphone can hold the app for Kindle and the Noon and the Kobo all at the same time.


Of course, many important books predate the Kindle (2008).  If a book is truly a classic, say Gullier's Travels, it may be available in Kindle form.  That particular book is available at no cost.  You could download a copy right now.


  1.  On a Windows computer in the lower left corner of the keyboard, there is a Windows key. 

Using that key and V instead of Control-V, provides 24 different clipboards which can be used as desired.  I learned this from the newsletter How to Geek.  I copy the title of a blog post as usual, using Control-V.  I go ahead and copy the body of the post with Control-V.  Then, I paste the title using Windows-V.  Up comes a menu of the saved title and the saved body.  I select the item I want and click to paste.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby