Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Books coming up

I have found several new books that seem promising.  There are times when I find a book I want to read.  I haven't been inside the public or the university library for quite a while.  I do have many Kindle books.  I realize that the Nook, the Kobe and probably other ereaders are available but the pricing, the selection, the whole system of Amazon Kindle works very well for me and has for more than 10 years.  


We're All Doing Time: A Guide for Getting Free

Bo Lozoff

I am reading "Being Ram Dass" steadily.  I am enjoying the book and I feel that it is doing me good and improving my knowledge and my intuition about myself and others and how we operate.  Ram Dass and Lozoff and others tried to help incarcerated Americans use imprisonment as an opportunity to improve their minds and ways of being.  "We are all doing time" was a guideline to help the imprisoned see their jail time as an opportunity as well as an existential truth.  


The Hardest Job in the World: The American Presidency

John Dickerson

This author is said to be an experienced writer about American government and politics.  I like the title and I feel that no one person can be in touch with all aspects of the country and the government.  


Exercised: Why Something We Never Evolved to Do is Healthy and Rewarding

Daniel Lieberman

Lynn heard from this author yesterday on Wisconsin public radio while driving.  She told me a few tidbits that the author stated about exercise and they are just what I have been suspecting.  I looked him up and he is a Harvard professor of biology and evolutionary science.


Terror in the City of Champions: Murder, Baseball, and the Secret Society that Shocked Depression-era Detroit

Tom Stanton

I just heard about this book.  Mob and gang action is a steady feature of American life that didn't get much attention in school or college.


Faceless Killers: A Mystery (Kurt Wallander Mystery Book 1)

Henning Mankell

We have enjoyed Wallander books and movies.  This one was chosen by a book group I am in.


Being Ram Dass

Ram Dass

I am reading this lickety-split.  I have posted several Tweets from the book as "@olderkirby".  It is a good visit to a life and to the times of that life. Plus the man was a psychologist and serious meditator.


A Promised Land

Barack Obama

I am reading this aloud to Lynn.  We feel privileged to live in a time when a talented Black president and his impressive and valuable author wife have been the country's top executive.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby