Sunday, January 24, 2021

Important words

I ran into a security question the other day about a pet's name from years back.  I could not think of the name,  (Naturally, I did think of it about a half hour later.)  I wanted to think of some possible fake names and "Anselm" came to mind.  I don't know why.  I am not familiar with the saints.  Google tells me that there are more than ten thousand official Roman Catholic saints so I can't expect to master the list quickly.  


I have no idea why "Anselm" [an solm] came to mind.  I had heard of St. Anselm.  I looked him up later and the little bit I read about the man didn't enlighten me much.  I guess he lived about 1100 AD and was important in monastery and theological life of Europe at the time.  I could not figure what brought his name to mind while writing, but I suspect I saw something about a Spanish-speaking person named "Anselmo".  


My friend is a wide-ranging thinker and a highly educated man.  He read my blog post and delighted me with a single word response: "Anselm?"


I don't know why his scooping up the weirdest word in my post and tossing it back to me delighted me so much but it did.  I can savor a phrase or a comment for quite a while.  It is much like thinking of a tune over and over.


 My greatgrandson, exasperated with my advanced-level questions, said,'' Grandad, I'm just a kid!"  I love that!  I think of it often.  


My greatgranddaughter explained her revised feelings about being a bit homesick, said,"In the grand scheme of things, a week is a short time."  Love it!

 

Chade-Meng Tan said, “To meditate, you just need to have a mind”.  


And now, to these, I add “Anselm?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It is He that hath made us and not we ourselves

Of the making of books, there is no end.

 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby