Friday, January 1, 2021

Report from day 1

It is still the holiday season. I thought of writing something related to the brand new year just opening.  When I looked at the CNN's Five Things, I saw upbeat looks and optimistic words, so I considered that.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/01/us/five-5-things-new-years-2021-trnd/index.html


I watched episode 3 of Hacking Your Mind, available on PBS or Amazon Prime TV.  It is a little tough to watch since it is about human tendency to quickly take sides and cling to the side taken.  I have been realizing lately that what psychologists call "confirmation bias" actually works on us more after we make a decision.  I thought of the toilet seat example, where the man remembers all the times, he carefully lowered the seat and the woman remembers the times when it was left up.  But lately, I see that the bias for confirmation actually works more strongly post-decision, post-choice.  


Consider the ancient debate as to which is better: almonds or walnuts.  I know how to collect evidence and I do that.  Nutrients, cost, digestibility, popularity, availability, sustainability and other important variables.  I do a fine comparison and add up points in favor and subtract points against.  I am a rational animal par excellence.  It takes a while but I did all the work and now I have the answer.  Tomorrow, when I see another article for the variety I chose, I can see that I made the right choice.  I can see that my meticulous methodology brought me to the truth.  Score for me.  


When I see some silly, pathetic article for the variety I didn't choose, I just skip through it.  I really don't have time to document all the errors and omissions.  I already went over all the questions.  I don't like second guessing myself.  I already know the answer and I am sticking to it.  I like decisiveness and I don't have unlimited days left in this life.  I am not going to re-decide each issue.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby