Friday, January 22, 2021

What did we call our snake?

When you call up and tell me it's George Washington calling, I am going to doubt you.  I know George was the first US president and that he died a long time ago.  You wouldn't do such a silly thing but the twists and turns of modern life can quickly scoot me into a mental space that I don't expect.  


Like others, I have many passwords.  More and more, passwords are required to be many characters.  Sometimes, I can make myself a new password.  Sometimes, I am required to make a new one.  After I make a new one, I need to be aware that the new one is current and the old one isn't.  Sometimes, I am required to answer a security question.  I often get to create the security question or select my choice from a list of available ones. 


Back then, we had a loveable little snake.  She would answer to her name when we called and we were all thrilled at the cuddly but muscular way she would constrict the blood flow to a hand when she wound herself around a wrist.  She was a big part of our day.  So, of course, when I constructed a security question in 1981, I chose "What is the name of your favorite pet?" But that snake died long ago.  I haven't thought of the little devil for years.  When the nice computer guy asks me to answer the security question I chose myself, I can't remember what we called it.  Anselm?  Fang?  Squeezy?  I can see that little thing in my mind but my mind has slowed.  You can't just take a random withdraw from my memory anymore.  Where's Lynn?  She would know what we called the damned thing.


Security questions and old passwords can suddenly loom up, blocking your path.  I honestly am the guy I say I am.  I wouldn't scam you, Sir.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby