Sunday, January 3, 2021

Attention to moments, words, views

What can I do besides look forward to a healthy, happy life?  One answer is pay attention not to my life and its level of health and happiness but instead pay attention to now, this moment.  What is in this moment?  My fingers, my tension, my toes - how are they all doing?


Of course, this moment is quite full.  By the time I find out what is happening right now in Dallas and Catonsville and Door County, not to mention Nice and Florence and Ealing and all the other places, it will be tomorrow.  


Ok, besides NOW, what can I pay attention to?  I find that the exact word used can be interesting.  Today, I listened to Harry Belafonte.  I like Woman is Smarter song.  I paid attention for the first time to "Angelique-o".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWSqAYR8mdc  The singer complains that his new wife performs poorly and wants her momma to take her home for retraining, to learn all the things she lacks. When her mother sends her back to the husband all better trained, they will "live in harmony".  


Harmony, huh?  What sort of harmony?  Will Angelique see harmony where her husband sees it?  How long will harmony last?  Philosophers and poets can see all sorts of questions and reactions to the word.  It would be a bit different if the word "joy" had been used or "happiness".  See, already I am falling into questions and issues.  Happiness has 3 syllables like harmony.  Maybe the fit of the word is more important for the song than semantics or marital structure.


Besides language and time, I can look more carefully at what is here. This is no longer what the living room looks like:

There was lots to look at there but we took it all down.  I can look out the window:

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby