Sunday, January 10, 2021

Basking

I wrote about pondering.  My friend said he doesn't ponder but yearns. I find I don't yearn much, but I do bask.  Do you bask?  


I know with virus problems and economic problems and political yelling and struggling, it can be hard to believe but some things are good.  When I am in the middle of something good, I like to bask in the good, the warm, the friendly, the tasty.  I noticed a decade ago that when I visited Lynn's elderly parents in the nursing home, they perked up for coffee.  They perked up for chocolate.  When a nice cup of coffee or tea or cocoa appears, it is wise to bask in the taste, the pleasure, the fellowship, the riches.  Just goes to show that even in your 90's, you can bask very effectively.


When he was only 44, Henry David Thoreau moved to Walden Pond.  He said he moved to the woods to live deliberately.  He didn't want to come to the end of his life and find that he hadn't lived.  I bet he was a good basker.  


A person that basks well and often, someone who extracts riches and contentment from basking, could be called a "baskard", in a sort of French word construction.  If you become outstanding in your basking, you may find others refer to you as a little baskard.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby