Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Waiting better

In December, I wrote about waiting.  https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2020/12/waiting-in-their-culture-and-today.html


I know that I tend to be impatient.  I would like everything I want right now and everything I don't want gone this minute.  My friend urged me to elevate my waiting, to honor it more and to do a higher level of waiting.  She advised me to get the African children's story Traveling to Tondo and learn something.  I did get the book and read the story.


Bowane, the civet cat, met a beautiful female civet, whom he wanted to marry.  She said "Yes" and went home to her parents to prepare to be married.  Bowane needed others to travel to her house for the wedding and asked several animal friends to go with him.  His pals, the snake, the tortoise and the pigeon, agreed to go with him.  The snake swallowed some prey on the way and they waited for him to digest his meal, a slow process that takes days and days.  The pigeon fancied some nuts but they had to wait until the nuts ripened.  They found a log across the path that the tortoise simply could not get over, they had to wait and wait and wait until that log rotted.  


When they got to the beautiful civet cat's house, she had married and she introduced them all to her growing children.  


Having been instructed in Nkundo waiting, I try to be a little calmer, to sit with any waiting to be done, to breathe with it and enjoy it.  When I met Lynn, she had a handwritten list of 84 guys that she liked, or liked her, or had met her at church, or something, so I really didn't have time to wait.  Not with that level of competition.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby