Sunday, February 18, 2024

Books mentioned

It is Sunday, the day of the week that CNN photo editors post a link to Photos of the Week.  

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/15/world/gallery/photos-this-week-february-8-february-15


I also want to mention some books.  I have finished "Go Wild" by John Ratey, MD.  Ratey is a good writer for general audiences.  I like his explanations and handling of complex subjects. We just finished "The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store", an interesting novel featuring Jews and Blacks living outside Pittsburgh.  We are beginning "Fluke", non-fiction about odd happenings and the interconnectedness of people, events and the consequences of the choices, big and little, that we make. I have had an ecopy of Walt Hickey's "You Are What You Watch" for awhile and I just started it today. 


Hickey is the man behind the Numlock News, which I read every day.  He mentions early on that people studying the components of human breath just need one thing: movies!  Our breath changes when we watch scary scenes from watching warm, comforting scenes.


In connection with Fluke, I want to mention "The Improbability Principle" by British statistician David J.Hand.  It is the best book I have read, so far, about weird stuff happening.  I just looked Prof. Hand up and found he has two websites.  I visited one and found the statement "the unusual day would be one on which nothing unusual happens". 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby