Tuesday, February 27, 2024

What did you say?

Whether it is a courtroom, a classroom or a cafeteria dining room, speech tends to fill the room.  I am impressed with what talk can do.  Sure, there are many other aspects of life: sports and action like dancing or exercising, cooking and eating and many others.  I like to put questions that come to mind in Google.  Whether some form of AI is being used to answer, I get interesting answers.  I just asked When did human speech begin?  and the answer is about 50,000 years ago.  I am confident that the answer depends on what is meant by speech.  Some of the answers said that early grunts and gestures were all that humans could manage 200,000 years ago, still in Africa and before the human expansion all over.  But body forms and evolution, along with purpose and effort, those valuable tools, improved the ability to make exact and distinct sounds.  


Whether it is through the use of drums or riders with some sort of document or verbal message, or the telegraph or the telephone or the radio right up to texting, the use of speech and writing in some form has advanced human life.  When I get a message that I have won a foreign lottery, speech or writing may induce me to provide the means for a scammer to take my stuff.  But in general, speech and writing seem to be major roads to more joy in human life.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby