Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Learning other languages

At lunch with other male retired professors, we got on the subject of the training we have had in other languages besides English.  When I worked for my PhD, I was required to take doctoral German.   The class met at 8 AM.  I got the feeling that most of the students were like me - not deeply committed to the subject matter.  I had taught 5th grade for 4 years and had gone to graduate school to get an advanced degree, which was required by Maryland's Dept. of Education.  I had started with a goal of a master's degree but my advisor told me of a new program that gave scholarships for a fulltime study for a doctorate.  


For my German course, I had to take a test.  I had had no instruction or practice in German but I thought maybe the fact that English is a Germanic language would enable me to pass the exam without an early morning class.  It didn't.  The examiners told me I was terrible: two standard deviations below the mean.  Take the class!  I did and then tried again.  They told me I was now only one standard deviation below the mean and they would credit me with passing!  Stop showing up at 8AM.  


Later, leading a student group through Germany and Switzerland, I found I was 99% ignorant of speech and signs.  Many kind people switched to English for me.   Thank you, kind people.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby