Saturday, February 24, 2024

Changing world

Older people can sometimes be interested in how the world has changed over their own lifetimes.  I was born as WWII was starting and that is a while back.  When I began graduate school after teaching 5th grade for 4 years, computers were a new thing. After I got my doctorate, I got a job as an assistant professor in the UWSP School of Education.  We moved to a smaller town far from people we knew.  I had used the computer language Fortran in writing my dissertation

https://sites.google.com/view/kirbyvariety1/dissertation-blog-issue-of-toward-the-light-links


There was one older professor who had a somewhat similar pattern to his work but I was basically alone.  I wrote in the campus faculty newsletter that if anyone in any department wanted to talk about computers, I was interested.  That note morphed into the side job of looking after and promoting the IBM 1600 that was being rented for faculty use.  I was to inform and encourage faculty who might find the computer a useful tool for their research or teaching.


Sometimes, a faculty member would ask "What is a computer?"  People today would probably not ask that question.  You may be aware of "being connected", "being online" and other expressions that refer to use of the Internet.  When I go to a campus weight room, it is often the case that every person I see, dozens of students, is using a smartphone or has a smartphone open and on, beside them.  The internet, computers connected to each other, is a current BIG TOPIC.  An emerging one is "AI", artificial intelligence.


I found this article from Pew Research quite interesting:

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2024/02/05/8-charts-on-technology-use-around-the-world/

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby