Tuesday, February 13, 2024

The day's ID

I have heard that people sometimes ask a person who seems disoriented or out of it, "What day is it?"  That can be a difficult question.  


For writing a blog, I often try to list, say, five prompts.  Sometimes a prompt immediately grabs my attention when I think of it and I know that is what I want to write about.  Sometimes, I can't think of enough ok ideas to list five.  I have used notebooks stored around the house and typically I use a notebook for comments.  That was before I ever heard of blogging and "web" services like Blogspot and WordPress.  There was never a good reason to start a new notebook when my last one was very far from full but that was why the notebook from 2009 had only nine pages used out of 70. I guess when I felt like writing, I was too lazy to locate the last notebook I used. 


Now, I memorize the color of the prompt notebook and I keep that one handy and use it over and over.  I find it interesting to use the same notebook for each day's prompts, which take a line for the day's info, five or so lines for prompts. Maybe some more if that day, my head is full of ideas. To keep track, I put the day first.

  • What day of the week is it?

  • What is the month?

  • Number of today in the month?

  • Year?


My book group read Lisa Genova's book "Remember".  As is typical with me, I didn't read the book but "looked through it" to prep for the discussion.  I have spent too much time searching for my parked car after buying food.  A passage of her book said you can't remember where you parked because when you parked, you didn't form a memory of the location.  When I am wandering around looking for my car, I often think of those words.  Writing the day's ID helps me know so I can answer the nice lady when she asks "What day is it?"

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby