Monday, February 5, 2024

Chance everywhere

Normally, I am not that much of a writer.  Sure, sometimes I am eager to explain or support or reveal but normally, I can communicate or not.  I know that some people look forward to an idea or a friendly message.  I am confident that I am not good at predicting who happens to be looking for something from me so the best thing seems to be to write from the heart and post for anyone to see how today's idea sits with them.  


That description points to a sort of gamble.  Who, if anyone, will find today's post helpful?  Who will find it trivial, super-ordinary or completely useless?  I picture a big jar with chips or slips of paper.  Some of the chips will be drawn and most will be skipped over.  You know that chips that were drawn yesterday may well be skipped today but a few repetitions may well occur.  This picture of a jar, an urn, a bowl from which items are drawn can apply to many situations.  It is the sort of image that lured thinkers into developing the subject of statistics, and has been of use in nearly every branch of science and investigation.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby