Thursday, March 11, 2021

Charged by Linda Ronstadt

Once in a while, Lynn has had it with more Mozart.  When things get like that, it doesn't help if I switch to Donizetti or Great Drinking Songs of Opera.  It may be a little better if I play Linda Ronstadt.  I did that the other day.  As I am listening to Linda repeatedly allege that I am no good, I am somewhat surprised when she sings," I'm gonna say it agin". 


https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=you%27re+no+good+linda+ronstadt


By golly, she does.  She goes through her whole rigamarole all over, even though I had just heard it.  It set me to wunderin'.   If the same person on the same occasion repeats a charge against me, does the repetition itself increase the weight, the force of the charge?  I don't think repeating a statement over agin, right after it has been said, happens very often in normal discourse.  When I heard Linda say she was about to repeat herself, I immediately thought that the song writer couldn't come up with anything better than to have the singer repeat.  


I have noticed that many songs repeat the same words many times.  I mentioned to Lynn that I thought it was a failing of modern popular music.  She said,"Are you kidding?"  Just think of the amount of repetition in an opera.  The villain announces he will kill the hero and repeats his intention over and over.  


If Linda and I were flirting and she charged me with being no good, (an outlandish charge that, even with clarification as to the time frame and the ways I am alleged to be no good, would be hard to make stick.)  No good??  No good at all?  How about the fact that I didn't run any redlights?  How about the fact that I stopped at all the stop signs?  Don't those actions indicate at least a smidgen of good?  How about a potential for good?  Does potential count?

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby