Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Square breathing, prayer beads and me

I started with imaging the source of a string of bubbles rising in a glass of ginger ale or beer. I moved to focusing on the lower left corner of a rectangle, any rectangle.  That is the place on a math graph origin where the axes are positive upwards and to the right.

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2019/06/direct-meeting-with-yourself.html


Some exercises prescribed by my physical therapist ask for 10 or 15 repetitions and I often lose count.  I got interested in the rosary beads.  I am not Catholic or Muslim and have never used beads.  But I have read about human visual memory, especially for faces - it is excellent.  I have also read about "square breathing", a technique for concentrating on one's breath when it is helpful to keep attention on one thing, such as the breath.  In square breathing, I breath in fairly slowly to my own count of 4, hold my breath for the same count of 4, exhale slowly to a count of 4 and wait for a final count of 4 before repeating the 4,4,4 and 4 exercise.  


I modified the technique for my own use.  I find a rectangle in my vision field somewhere.  It could be a wall hanging or a piece of furniture.  There are many rectangles around me, including the windows, the driveway and rectangles on the houses nearby.  I start in the lower left corner, take a given number of breaths, move my eyes to the upper left corner and repeat.  I then use the upper right corner and the lower right corner.  Finally I finish off looking at the center area of the rectangle.  That gives me a basic five but I can do two or three breaths at each point for 5x2 or 5x3 or 5x4.  I don't lose my place and I have something to engage my attention nicely.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby