Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Browsing the internet

As the World Wide Web emerged in the 1990's, Netscape was a program that was written to allow a computer user to travel to different "web addresses".  Microsoft came out with its Internet Explorer to do the same thing.  Google created its popular browsing program Chrome.  Some of the creators of Netscape created Firefox.  More recently, Opera, Brave and Vivaldi have become available for traveling around the Web.  Amazon has its Silk and Apple has its Safari.


Much like operating systems (Windows, iOS for Apple and Android for Google-related devices and Linux and cousins), different browsers can do different things, have different sponsors and different appearances.  

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/search?q=browser


The basic idea of visiting a web site is that computer code is sent to my computer to arrange for it to show a layout designed to be a more or less readable "page", since paper books were a widespread experience that users to use to get a handle on what a computer (and today a tablet or a smartphone) can do.


All the browsers keep track of what sites I visit.  I can eliminate the list if I want but my "History" can be very valuable in finding and retaining material I want to keep.  In Firefox, my default browser, the list of sites I have visited is part of the "library", in the upper right corner of a Window of Firefox, available when I click on the "hamburger".  The hamburger, three short horizontal likes the roll, burger, roll, will show many tools and options if I click on it.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby