Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Reliable v. the latest

When I learned about developed theory of mental testing, the first and fundamental concept was reliability.  The basic idea is that things are easier if when I measure the height of a table, I get the same measurement if I measure again.  Things are easier if I can find the table's height and that height doesn't change. You might have noticed that I picked my "dead" table for the example and not the tree outside or my height.


I guess since someone came along with the idea of a wheel, inventions have shown their value.  Not every invention but some are so helpful, we don't ignore them but instead adopt them.  It can be comfortable to consider AN invention but in truth, inventions get modified.  Dr. Amit Sood does a nice job reflecting on the difference between the Kitty Hawk airplane that made that early flight and modern airliners in his book "Mindfulness Redesigned for the 21st Century".  Even inventions don't stand still.  


We are living in an age of change, of purposeful innovations.  There are high schools that teach "entrepreneurship" and plenty of other sources of encouragement to start something new, often with a new product, maybe a new invention that will change everything and light up your life.  America has been aimed at doing new things ever since European ships poked around the continent.  Since we may be biased toward change, innovation, invention, "improvement", modification and variety, we might want to consider more respect for staying unchanged, reliable and steady.  At least until the next software update changes things.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby