Sunday, March 7, 2021

Breathing

Reading "Incognito" by David Eagleman gave me a boost of interest in the complexity and sophistication of my brain and body.  Lisa Feldman Barrett's "7 ½ Lessons about Your Brain" solidifies the picture of the brain as body headquarters.  We know that certain brain injuries mean death or severe impairment.  But I think of the book "Breath by Breath" by Prof. Larry Rosenberg as the source of my interest in connections between self and meditation and my breathing.  


When my friend told our lunch group that he was mailed a copy of James Nestor's "Breath", I was interested.  I knew about the book and I felt I had already checked it out and wasn't impressed by what I saw.  But when Ken said someone had gone to the trouble and expense of mailing a copy of Breath to everyone in his wealth program, I knew I had to take another look at the book.  I did and I paid better attention.  I changed my mind and I am now reading Breath aloud to Lynn for about an hour each evening.


Last night, we came across the name "Buteyko".  I recognized it from earlier reading.  I started looking through Fear,Fun and Filoz.  I looked at web pages at Kirbyvariety.  I looked at my Kindle archives of books.  I found I have been collecting breath information for a decade.  There is also tons of stuff about breathing in a Google or Duckduckgo search and on YouTube. I have especially liked Dr. Alan Watkins.



James Nestor


Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art










Will Johnson


Breathing through the Whole Body: The Buddha's Instructions on Integrating Mind, Body, and Breath




Christopher Willard


Alphabreaths: The ABCs of Mindful Breathing









Belisa Vranich


Breathe: The Simple, Revolutionary 14-Day Program to Improve Your Mental and Physical Health





F.Matthias Alexander

How to Breathe with Ease











Donna Farhi


The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work






Michael Sky


Breathing: Expanding Your Power and Energy









Larry Rosenberg


Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation (Shambhala Classics)






Eline Snel


Breathe through This: Mindfulness for Parents of Teenagers








Thich Nhat Hanh


Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing








Max Strom


A Life Worth Breathing: A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing






Richard P. Brown


The Healing Power of the Breath: Simple Techniques to Reduce Stress and Anxiety, Enhance Concentration, and Balance Your Emotions

Gay Hendricks


Conscious Breathing: Breathwork for Health, Stress Release, and Personal Mastery






Yogi Ramacharaka


S

Science of Breath











Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby