Monday, March 29, 2021

Reading and appreciating

We are both fans of Bill Bryson and I have read several of his books to Lynn.  I knew before we downloaded Best American Travel Writings of 2016 that he was the editor and not the author of any of the chapters.  Still, we got it.  The first chapter was about travel in Morocco, written by Michael Chabon, author of "The Yiddish Policemens' Union", a story of what happened when the United Nations gave Alaska to the Jews instead of Israel.  It was ok and so were subsequent chapters but last night, I read
"Rotten Ice" by Gretel Ehrlich, which appeared in Harper's Magazine in 2015.  It is about Inuit and ice culture and what, in 2015, was happening to human lives that depend on thick Arctic ice but don't get it because of climate change and global warming.  As Wisconsinites just emerging from winter and in the mood for spring (daffodils, robins and green leaves on trees but not yet), we are not drawn to ice floes and temperatures way below zero.  But the story and the effects on involuntary changes in customs and ways of life is moving. 


It has been a week since I fell/got tangled in the bed clothes or something and I am repairing.  Having a sore back that shoots me some pain when I move, sit, turn or breathe, makes me understand and respect the intelligence of deciding that the time has come to leave this life.  I don't feel that way but I can see that I and others could.


I have been in the mood to write about intelligent feet.  When we are examining who and what we are, it can be wise to consider our smarts and gifts:

  • Bipedalism that frees hands to do marvelous stuff

  • Small, sensitive feet that enable walking and running and gymnastics and dancing

  • Language and writing and electronic communication


As I understand it, leaving this life if successful, is irreversible.  So, it seems wise to check and recheck, and then wait and re-evaluate and think again.  But I guess we may come to a point where we can help ourselves and others by exiting.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby