Saturday, March 27, 2021

Google it

I am interested in the modern set of tools and aids that are available where I live.  Basically, the internet and what it offers.  I realize I can probably buy drugs and weapons but I am not thinking of those things.  I am thinking about what interests me.  There is some story-telling and fiction that gets into our lives but it is the non-fiction that attracts me the most.  


Everything I read or listen works for me better if it is in English.  When I think of English, I remember a place in the San Francisco Science hall where the same passage was spoken by English speakers from different parts of the world.  Some of the speakers were quite difficult for me to understand and that was way before I needed hearing aids. So, I am limited in learning to what I can find in English or what has been translated into English.  Google Translate has about 115 languages in it but it is a tool for translating only short passages.


I have gotten into a habit of taking questions to Google.  So, when I wonder if many animals require a varied diet, I ask Google if many animals do.  Most of my questions are rather general and basic.  I am not a deep expert in almost all subjects and my knowledge can quickly get out-of-date. I do find that asking Google a question of interest or searching for a topic on my mind nearly always turns up some helpful information and some valuable sites, books, articles, blogs, videos, podcasts or other sources.  Whatever I find leads to further possibilities.  Usually, what I find explands my thinking or changes the words I am using to inquire.


Yesterday, I learned a little about Daniel M. Russell, a Google engineer who works on Google search and his book called "The Joy of Search." He also has a blog called "SearchReSearch".  I find that asking Google is a valuable thing to do. It is fun, eye-opening and helpful.  One of the helpful parts of a Google search page of results is usually found near the middle of the first page, possibly of thousands.  It is called "People also ask" and the questions there often broaden my thinking, add to my set of search terms and sometimes satisfy me then and there.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby