Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Gotta! Just gotta!

Reading "Aware" by Daniel Siegel, MD, I am learning a few new ideas and wrinkles about getting along with my mind.


For one thing, he stresses that being aware that I am aware is helpful to living.  Being aware that I am thinking of having a piece of chocolate candy is a little different from simply wanting to eat some of that candy.  


Similarly, he advises teasing apart my liking from my wanting.  Just because I like that candy and I know that I like it, doesn't mean I have to zip into the kitchen and gobble some.  If I can feel my enjoyment of that candy, if I can remember my enjoyment and be pleased that I enjoy, I can learn to get pleasure from my experience of that candy without eating more of it.  I don't have to forego the candy for the rest of my life but I can extend my pleasure and my satisfaction with the way I behave. The actual chewing and swallowing the candy is very temporary but being aware of my pleasure, savoring my pleasure even when the candy is far away extends my pleasure and my appreciation.  


Siegel works with addicts at times and sees how they could enrich their lives and pleasure while lessening the damage addiction does if they allow themselves to think differently.


If I am addicted to anything, it is buying books.  I can see that I have basic feelings that tell me that if I buy the book, I "have" it, whether I read it or not.  I rationalize buying by saying to myself that the good price may not last. I ignore the strong possibility I may not.  I figure that I have enough books for the next 60 years. By then, I will be blind and as old as rocks.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby