Thursday, May 9, 2019

Chocolate syllables

Lynn read this poem to me today:

Poetry for Weight Loss (recovered by Lynn)

A poem stems your craving,

Apples for the mind.

A serving of cherry pie with no fat.

Stunning the faculties,

Fascinating the attention.

Don't reach for the chips,

Chocolate syllables will satisfy,

Shrinking your waist, too.


I was taken with the words "chocolate syllables" and said,"Wow, who wrote that?"  She answered, "You did." I couldn't believe I wrote such good words. And that I didn't remember anything about having done that!


That poem, called "Poetry for Weight Loss" and another, "Prose Poems" are now on this web page of some of my poems:

https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/bill-kirby-poems


I have noticed over the years that some poems and phrases seem extra nourishing.  They keep my attention:

  • Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.  - Mark Twain

  • When called by a panther, don't anther - Ogden Nash

  • Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

  • That's not a knife.  This is a knife. - Crocodile Dundee

  • 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all - Tennyson


I asked Lynn for a quote or saying that stays with her.  She said,

  • "Forgiveness is giving up all hope of a different past." - Origin disputed but possibly Gerald Jampolsky.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby