Saturday, May 25, 2019

Good book well-written

I had a book by Rachel Held Evans, who died at the age of 37 from sepsis recently.  I guess, like A.J. Jacobs she tried to live according to Biblical ideas. Somewhere I think the Bible describes that women should segregate themselves while they menstruate.  So, she set up a tent in the front yard and slept there when she menstruated.


The philosophy/religion group I meet with are good at asking questions.  So, when I read the title of Evans' book "Faith Unraveled: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask Questions", I thought the book would be of interest to the group.  This group is quite experienced at asking questions of themselves and others.


I used the Amazon page that offers to send acceptance codes to multiple people for an ebook but it turned out to lack good further steps when some of the group has accepted the book and others have lost the acceptance email from Amazon.  The relevant web page did not offer good options for handling a subset of a group that needed to be re-issued offers of a book. Amazon refunded the necessary amount and I issued individual offers to those who needed them.


When all this recent episode started, I had no plan to become a Rachel Held Evans fan.  However, I read "Faith Unraveled: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask Questions".  It is charming, witty and intelligent. It impressed me and my friends.  I made this web page of my highlights from the book:

https://sites.google.com/site/kirbyvariety/faith-unraveled-by-rachel-held-evans---highlights

But it is better to read the book as is, on your own.  If you do what I did, you may start it with the idea that you will just get a taste and then wind up reading the whole book.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby