Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Give us our daily bread

We have a local bakery, the Main Grain Bakery, that is four or so years old.  Friends introduced us to their Rustic White loaves. I am fat enough and heavy enough that I don't need lots of carbs, easily digested calories or breads.  But as I age, I find that I continue to appreciate my life and that of others more completely if I have foods I like. I find a slice of Rustic White bread, completely slathered with Land O' Lakes Light Butter puts me in a good mood.  


I haven't done much math about calories and weight gain.  I get a loaf of their Rustic White, have them slice it, bring it home in a brown paper bag, put the bread and bag in a plastic zip bag and put it in the freezer.  A table knife has a good blade for slipping between two frozen slices. A quick twist and a single slice is ready for toasting.


The bread, the warm butter and the crust are delicious.  One a day is sufficient for happiness. I try to avoid eating when I am not hungry.  The loaf is shaped so that the center pieces are good-sized but the ends and heels are small.  So, there are days when I eat two slices at a single sitting but it is only for the environment and to save the earth and all.  There are days when the bread doesn't call to me or I am too full. A loaf lasts me about 2 or 3 weeks.


Our favorite everyday bread is County Hearth's "New England Brown Bread."  I learned in writing this post that the bread is available in local Target and Dollar stores, which is good since my main grocery store has dropped it.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby