Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Seat belts and safety

Our book club asked the six men for recommendations.  One of the recommended books is "The Wright Brothers" by David McCullough.  I was not all that interested but I am glad I read the book. When I taught the 5th grade, I had to teach a social studies unit that included showing a Disney animation on the history of human attempts to fly.  The Wright Brothers worked on the problem slowly, carefully, diligently and steadily. Now we do it all the time but it is still dangerous. Just this morning, a Russian plane had a fire and crash, killing 41 people.  


At the turn of the last century, weather information, understanding of aeronautics, safety devices and practices were quite different.  Of the two brothers, Orville, the younger by 4 years, had a devastating crash and a long recuperation. They were born in 1867 and 1871 and medicine was very different then.  I have heard that the current relatively low rates of death and injury in automobile crashes relates to the engineering approach of arranging the body of cars to crush and absorb impact.  When you consider the height, speed and frailty of the Wright planes and the impact of a fall or a crash, it is a wonder the brothers survived.



I am glad I read the book.  I am surprised at how well it transported me to life at the end of the 1800's and the early 1900's.  I am grateful for today's air travel and very happy to have that method of getting around on the planet.  Hearing about the Wright family at the time underlines our present use of autos and individual travel and its convenience.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby