Friday, May 3, 2019

A friend calls me "Stoic"

I see references to books on Stoicism.  I read the description of Stoicism in Wikipedia.  I guess the usual meaning of the word is more or less "unemotional".  


I think some people get upset or shocked or unhappy if something happens that is surprising, unexpected.  It can be helpful to keep in mind that we don't know the future. So, if you win the lottery (without even buying a ticket!) or you fall and break a leg, of course you are going to be pleased, excited or irritated by the pain, expense and inconvenience.  Sudden changes are going to be upsetting.


I have a suspicion that many men overdo emotional suppression, maybe to the point of losing some emotional range.  If I am suddenly and unexpectedly awarded a fine prize, or a friend confesses longtime admiration for me, why dampen my own reaction?  Why not try to relish, savor, appreciate the sudden good fortune ? It may be that speeding down the highway or getting drunk assists me in feeling that I really am relishing and savoring.  I think that practicing sitting without speed and without yelling and without alcohol and just concentrating on how terrific I actually am will do the trick with less damage to my car, my wallet and my liver.


Many men get the idea through quiet supposition as well as explicit statements that it is "unmanly" or "weak" in some way to express emotions.  Some women and some theorists advise the opposite, that emotions enrich life and should be enjoyed.


On the other foot, when a person gets older, the news that an asteroid is aiming to strike our planet or some other frightening information is blared around, us elders may feel that we have heard such stuff before.  We were here when that other shooting star eliminated the dinosaurs. We are not that impressed.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby