Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Up and down with eggs

I am thinking about chicken eggs. I know that there are pheasant eggs and ostrich eggs.  I read that some birds can be tricked by their own drives into trying to hatch a fake egg if it is much bigger than the others in a nest.  I didn't think too much about eggs as I was growing up but I liked soft-boiled eggs, which I cooked for myself in the upper grades of school.  I set a timer for 3 minutes once the water started boiling. I ate three eggs regularly then but now two is plenty.


In the past couple of decades, eggs have been vilified as bad for the heart and the blood vessels but now they are coming back.  Just for variety, I often eat a bowl of cereal with banana and blueberries but we both like soft-boiled eggs. I enjoy them fried, scrambled and hard-boiled but soft boiled is the main way I cook them.  I find recipes that use a bath of egg for various purposes, such as a coating to hold panko bread crumbs on fish fillets.


Somewhere in the Rocky movies with Sylvester Stallone, Rocky drinks raw eggs directly but I like a bit of cooking.  For speed, I like to break a couple of eggs into a bowl, mix well and microwave for 97 seconds. I have learned to put a saucer over the bowl.  No matter how well I mix the eggs, something begins to heat and eventually explodes. The covering saucer keeps me from having to clean bits out of all corners of the microwave.


It seems much easier to follow Weight Watcher plans since they include so many foods that have zero points.  Whole eggs are zero. We generally keep a pair of hard boiled eggs handy. Lynn often makes them into egg salad and they can serve as a quick meal if need be.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby