Thursday, October 26, 2023

eBooks

Just about every day, if not multiple times a day, I hear of a book that sounds interesting. I use the app Libby, which I have on my iPad, but both public libraries and the local university library have limited funds so the book I just heard about hasn't been purchased by that library yet.  Or, maybe it is in transit or in short supply.  If Amazon.com is not charging too much, I may shell out the money for permanent ownership of an ecopy.  At the "worst" in my view, is buying a paper copy since it will take up space and add weight to my shelves. Ebooks have big advantages in my view but I can get them from Amazon only.  I can borrow them from the libraries and maybe from the Amazon series Kindle limited that allows me up to 10 borrowed at a time, but only books the editors put into that series.  When I have 10, thet Amazon computers know which ones and show me to let me return one so I can get the one I am trying for now.


Sometimes, when I get an ebook in my own collection out for a re-look, to re-read it or maybe keep up with a book club re-read, I have comments in a file, comments from 5 or 10 years ago.  Often, I am so eager to get the book read initially that I forget to mark highlights.


It is possible to take the view that I read too much but I don't.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby