Monday, October 23, 2023

My style

I just asked my wife of over 63 years what she thought of my style.  She answered "To be perfectly honest, I have never liked it".  Do you see what I mean about vague statements being hard to interpret? When this woman thinks about "style", she mostly means dress and clothing. That is understandable coming from a woman.  She spent time looking at catalogs and store windows to see what was current in clothing.  I spent more time seeing what I wanted to read in non-fiction.  I have tried a little to avoid wearing colors that don't look good together.


When, about 80 years ago, I came home for lunch as a kindergartener, I thought I would spiffy up for the afternoon session.  I was wearing a t-shirt but to fancy up, I put a pre-tied necktie around my neck.  My mom was busy elsewhere so I returned to school without being seen.  My teacher thought my effort so cute, she called home to tell Mom.  See?  I was attuned to being hip, a expression that was in style once.


The style of clothing isn't what is haunting me just now.  No, it is the question of parking.  I am confident that firemen and police officers and other manly men around here always back their car, no, pickup truck, into their space.  That way, they are all set to zoom off to save damsels, grandmas and such immediately without wasting time getting the vehicle properly positioned.  My wife advises me to continue going front end in and backing out cautiously.  Guess I will.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby