Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Carrying a walking stick, as in old times

I knew I had read what was labeled as an old riddle about an animal that goes on 4 four legs, then 2 and then 3 legs.  I didn't remember that the riddle includes the information that 4 legs are used in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 3 in the evening.  Since I fell on a neighborhood walk twice recently, and the answer is "man", the riddle applies to me.  The daily time is a disguise of the answer and the times are meant to describe early parts of life, middle parts of life and latter parts, when a walking stick or cane is used.


I have been getting used to the idea that I am in the latter part of life.  I have seen the difference in the safety I feel when I am carrying or using a walking stick, just as the riddle predicts.


This morning, I again went off from the house without a stick or cane.   After a little walking, I realized I had forgotten a can or stick.  I am getting used to the idea that I should carry a stick.  When I realized I had walked off with a walking stick, I told my walking friends that I was going to shorten my walk.  As I got near the house, Lynn popped out the front door brandishing a cane.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby