Thursday, October 12, 2023

Columbus

On October 12, 1492  a crew member on Columbus' ship, Pinta, spots land!


Some people seem to get rather excited about statements that Columbus discovered the American continents.  If I write that I discovered the Alexander McCall Smith novels, I bet no one will think I am asserting that they were completely unknown to everyone before I discovered them.  The people already living in the New World had a major event happen to them as well as the Europeans.  I realize Vikings had made their way here and Native Americans did so much earlier.  Still, the Europeans in search of a seaway through the North American continent persisted in calling the Indians "Indians", just as many of us do today. Whatever else you call the event, I think you can consider it a major event in history.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby