Thursday, October 5, 2023

Myers-Briggs scheme of human personality

Ever since Larry Riggs and I took a little workshop together, I have enjoyed knowing the Myers-Briggs scheme.  Myers and Briggs are daughter and mother who created a typology of human personality.   They based their scheme on the work of Carl Jung.  It has gotten critical examination over the years and there are people who feel it is meaningless and even damaging.  I am confident that it can be damaging if it is misused.  


It consists of questions about your personality and ways of thinking, acting and behaving.   After answering, one gets a personally descriptive result of four letters.  Each letter is one of a pair.


Extrovert or Introvert

Intuitive or Sensor

Feeler or Thinker

Judger or Perceiver


I, for instance, came out as an ENTJ.   These letters describe me rather well.


Some researchers have not found that people fit into the categories very well but I was glad to take the quiz a 2nd time even if I don't find I think or behave as predicted all the time.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby