Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Where should I put my attention?

I could look over there or over in that other direction. I could listen to this or that.  My mind can travel in other ways to other places.  I can focus on the past or the present or the future.  A large group of people focus on a combination of the past and the future.  They say that an important form of God was born about 2000 years ago.  Some believe that he will appear again.  


Working with Buddhist and related ideas, it is possible to focus on being more aware of the present.  How do I feel right now? What seems to be on my mind at this time? It is possible to be so wrapped up in preparation for the big family dinner that I forget to put on my pants.  That particular omission will probably be corrected when I step outside in the 33° air.  When a person, perhaps a professor who is thinking about the Peloponnesian War, forgets that he has a glass of milk in his hand and spills it, we call that person "absent-minded".  It's funny since the one thing that is not absent is the mind, although its owner is not focused on his present circumstance.


Meditation can be a tool to practice being aware of one's present.  So can the books and ideas of Ekhart Tolle, author of "The Power of Now". Am I in pain now?  Am I happy now?  Am I aware now of my current hopes for this day? When I read Walden years ago, I was impressed by his reminders to apply, strengthen and deepen my appreciation of what is NOW.  I want to savor the flavor of this moment, this person, this scene, this accomplishment. Watching the Adam Sandler movie "Clicker", I developed caution about fast-forwarding through the tough parts of life.


As we age, we may be pleased to see, hear, smell, taste and appreciate what we have, what we are NOW.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby