Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Devices, communicating and juice

I have multiple devices that connect to the internet.  I use an iPad and an Asus Windows machine most.  I keep the Windows computer plugged in all day so I don't check its amount of charge.  I see that several machines are now engineered to charge their batteries to only 60% of capacity to make the battery last longer.  Some of my devices are elderly and very slow.  Those I more or less forget about.  The others I try to keep charged enough to be of some use.  


I am interested in interface design.  That's the layout of words, buttons, colors, etc. that the user can use.  Sometimes, a particular button or action can be used more than once, as when a button is pressed twice in rapid succession.  That sort of thing can be somewhat like casting a spell according to the steps the medicine man prescribed.  I think it is very possible to use a device for years without ever realizing it has some capacity you never learned about.  Besides that wrinkle, once you learn of an ability that enables you to do just what you want, you find to your annoyance that few users employ that ability so an upgrade removes that function.


One of the last things I do at night is check some basic devices for the amount of charge they have - will it last me through the next day or should I charge them overnight?  I have a phone that fits in my small pocket but has a limited set of abilities, several of which require me to use another email in addition to the one I depend on.  I have a smartphone that seems pretty handy but it is too big.  I have looked at smartphones that fold to a size that fits my pocket but they are far more expensive than I want to pay.  I don't take many calls on any other line than our landline anyway.  I still find that two hands on a keyboard and the greater power of a computer suit me best.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby