Friday, November 11, 2022

Seeing and hearing others

When I was in junior high school, my stepdad gave me an article written by Bruce Barton.  It attempted to explain three valuable principles for living.  One of the principles was "Stand at the head of the class in English."  My stepdad was the man who said it was clear that I had been vaccinated with a phonograph needle, emphasizing how much I talked.  I liked English and I liked books but I didn't pay much attention to communicating.


I communicated all right but I rarely was accused of going on too long.  I saw examples of the damage one can do to himself and others with a compulsion to go on too long.  Besides, many examples of masculinity are walking models of taciturn living, the sort of manly man who utters one syllable per week.  Plus, I was aware of turning heads away when a listener lost interest in what I was saying.  Also, glazed looks.  


You may have heard that old smarty Socrates said that it is basic to "Know Thyself".  Self-knowledge seems to get a little easier as I age, possibly because I have a longer set of years of experiencing myself.  Plus, several trails of wisdom advise watching oneself both internally and externally.  


But recently, the internet, the rise of "influencers", the popular use of social media like Musk's Twitter and Facebook/Meta and other platforms have helped me see how in a sense communication makes us.  True, I get impressions of how others feel from looking at their faces, paying attention to the emotional tones of their voices and seeing their actions but what people say and what I know of what they do gives me most of the picture I have of who and what they are.


Various books and films emphasize how our roads and rules and wealth develop by communication by voice or writing.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby